Thursday, May 29, 2014

WICHITA HIP-HOP HISTORY LESSON #6 - IT'S TIME TO BRING DANOIZ!

So out of all the hip-hop groups that came out of Wichita one of the earliest that made the most noise (no pun intended) was Danoiz! 
 
 
 
I had first heard of them from a friend that I had back at Hadley Middle School.  He had knew I was into rap music and had mentioned that there was a local rap group that I should check out named Danoiz.  I hadn't heard of them, but I went looking for their music and couldn't find their cassette tape at Camelot music (after I was told I could find it there).  Not to long after that I started hearing more and more about them.  A year went by and I was watching Rap City on B.E.T. and a commercial come on for Connoisseur Records.  It wasn't until I started paying attention that the group that they were talking about in the commercial was Danoiz!  So I went to Music & More and grabbed two copies on their new 12 inch single.  I remember vividly that the commercial.  This was the first and one of the ONLY times that I have ever seen Wichita rap group promoting there music in a commercial on TV.
 
 
Frankly I don't know much about Danoiz, but I had heard that they started out as a rap group/crew called SWAT.  Below is one of there first videos of them performing at the Cotillion I believe.  This is a great video showing what Wichita hip-hop was like in the early 90's.
 



Later when I was in high school I started seeing and hearing more and more about their music.  I was able to get my hands on a copy of their Cadillac style album.  They totally embodied what is was like to be around Wichita hip-hop at that time.  Everyone was into lowriders, rolling around the North side, and hanging out at Riverside Park on Sundays.  Danoiz was the perfect riding music for that.


 
Danoiz was also the first AND ONLY Wichita rap group that I have ever seen on B.E.T.!  They had videos on Rap City and B.E.T. Uncut that aired late at night.  I can't tell you how cool it was to see people from Wichita getting air on a national platform.  The same people that were rolling around Wichita and performing at shows were on B.E.T!  Very inspiring to see.  Check out the videos that aired below...
  



 


They always used the term "Madwest" in their music which quickly became a term used by everyone!  No one can ever forget Danoiz and their contributions to Wichita's Hip-Hops scene.  To make it even better, they still make and work on music to this day!
Next week... a special guest ~ @RoyceOnTheRadio

No comments:

Post a Comment