Thursday, May 22, 2014

WICHITA HIP-HOP LESSON #5 - A TRIBUTE TO B-KAUTIOUS



So I was getting ready to post on the Wichita graff scene for the fifth installment of Wichita's Hip-Hop history.  I got a call from one of the graff artists and I am going to do an interview with him to really get in depth on some of that history so that will be coming in the next couple of weeks.  So instead I decided to write on one of the artists from Wichita who left this world way to soon.  I was cleaning my basement going through some old music and I came across the B-Kautious - Birth Of A Munsta cd.  I had known Brandon since 1994.  We actually went to North High together.  He was a couple years older than me and never really said anything to me since I was younger until one year in summer school.  I was getting something from the vending machines at North High and he was in the hallways with some friends.  I heard him call out "Mole!".  I didn't know who he was talking to so I got my candy bar and went on.  The next day I walked past him and I heard "Mole!"  By this time I figured he was talking to me.  I went over and said, " What's your name?"  I told him Royce and he said, "Naw man... your new name is Mole".  Apparently because he thought I looked like the animal.  Haha.  So from that day on, I was known as Mole around North, and some people still call me that to this day.  He was always into music and I vividly remember him beatboxing and freestyling in the hallways of North.  Music was in his blood!
 
Fast forward to 2010.  I get set up to cut a commercial at a radio station for a local rapper who wanted to put some album release spots on the radio.  The account rep set up a time and came and got me when the person who at the station for the session.  They told me on the way walking up that his name was B-Kautious, and as I came around the corner I heard "Mole!"  It was Brandon.  We sat and talked for awhile, and I asked what he was doing up there.  He let me know that he was up to cut a commercial for his new album and handed me a copy.  All I could say was.. "Whoa your B-Kautious?!"  It was great to see him again, and we talked about music and the high school days for almost 2 hours. 
 
I would see him around for the next year at events and we would chop it up.  The last time I remember seeing him I told him that way came a long way from North High.  He just smiled, and said "Damn right".  He passed away not long after that.  He had the heart, drive and talent to do great things, and it was a sad day when I found out he had passed away.  Definitely  a person that was gone to soon.  Below is the cd that he gave me that day when he came up to cut the commercial along with on of the tracks of it.  Enjoy!  Next week...  We will bring DANOIZ!  ~ @RoyceOnTheRadio






No comments:

Post a Comment